There are 78 places in the Nursery School for children aged 3-5 years, which are allocated during the Summer Term of the year prior to entry and then throughout the year.
Parents/Carers seeking a Nursery School place can apply when their child is any age, but length of time of the application list does not give a child priority. Age of admission will depend on the number of places available.
Two members of the Leadership Team will allocate places referring to the following criteria (listed in order of priority):
- children who are Looked After and/or those with an Education and Healthcare Plan;
- children with specific educational, medical and/or social needs;
- children attending the Orchard Room provision;
- children who live in specific postcode areas (based on a list compiled from the Index of Multiple Deprivation);
- children with siblings currently attending the Nursery School or the Orchard Room provision;
- children with siblings who have formerly attended the Nursery School;
- children who have their birthday between 1st April-31st August;
- children who have their birthday between 1st September-31st December;
- children who have their birthday between 1st January-31st March;
All children are entitled to 15 hours of free nursery education per week during term time starting the term after he/she turns 3 years old.
Some children may be entitled to an extended 15 hour offer if they meet Government criteria. It is the responsibility of the child’s parents/carers to find out whether they are eligible for the additional hours of free entitlement. Parents/carers can find out if they qualify on the following site: www.childcarechoices.gov.uk. If parents’/carers’ working circumstances change, they should inform Nursery School immediately as this may affect their child’s free entitlement.
After completing an application form, the Local Authority will check families’ eligibility for the additional hours on a termly basis. If parents/carers become unemployed after the funding application is approved they will have a short period to find alternative employment before funding for these additional hours stops. If employment is not found, your child will move to a 15 hour place.
Patterns of attendance:
All children are entitled to 15 hours of free nursery education (term time only), which can be accessed:
9.00 a.m. – 12 noon Monday to Friday.
1.00 p.m.- 4.00 p.m. Monday to Friday.
Some children will be entitled to 30 hours of free nursery education (term time only). This can be accessed:
- Monday to Friday between 9.00 a.m.-12 noon and 1.00 p.m. and 4.00 p.m. Parents/carers can collect their child at 12 noon for the lunch hour or can pay for the lunch-time session between 12 noon and 1pm, which includes food and care.
For children who have places allocated for 30 hours free entitlement during term time only, the Nursery School will claim the full funding whether or not the child attends for all of the hours.
We are also offering an Option place of 22 hours per week over 50 weeks:
Monday and Tuesday between 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.; Wednesday between 12.00 p.m. to 4.00 p.m. (Option 1).
Wednesday 9.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.; Thursday and Friday 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. (Option 2).
Parents/carers would need to pay food costs for three days per week to access these options.
The remaining 40 hours can be booked in advance during the School Holiday period on Wednesdays to make up a full day.
Special Support Centre: The Special Support Centre allocates places to support children who have complex Special Educational Needs. For the criteria and admissions procedures for the Special Support Centre please refer to the Special Support Centre Policy.